Self storage doesn’t have to be tricky. We have some helpful storage tips to make your move that much easier.
- When packing for your storage unit move, plan ahead. Place items you may need to get to often in the front of your space. Allow for walkways if you’ll need periodic access to items.
- Make an inventory of your self storage items and keep it in a safe place at home, or in a safe deposit box.
- For easy stacking, use uniform size boxes. Be sure they’re strong enough to hold 20-30 pounds.
- List contents on all four sides of the box. Number the boxes and seal them with cello tape, fiber tape, or glued paper tape. Use inventory sheets to track the boxes.
- Drawers in dressers and tables can be used to store knickknacks and other small items. Wrap them in towels, tablecloths or blankets to prevent breakage.
- To save floor space in your storage unit, sofas and loveseats can be stored on end. Wrap cushions in plastic and stack them on top of the sofa.
- NEVER store anything toxic or combustible. Drain gasoline from lawnmowers, power tools, boats, jet skis, snowmobiles, etc.
- Be sure to place a good lock on your storage space.